Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful Thoughts #5

In my job I find fulfillment, excitement and enjoyment. I am so thankful for my job - not just because I'm able to pay my bills, but because I love what I do. I think it's so hard to figure out what you want to be when you grow up when you haven't really experienced anything. I kind of fell into my job by happenstance and am so thankful that I did!

Sure there are things about my job that I don't love, but the things I do love outweigh the things I don't. One of my favorite things about my job has been doing the baby storytimes. I love being one of the first people that babies share books with. It is so wonderful to watch them grow up and continue coming to storytimes. I definitely have some favorites and it's been fun to watch them grow up. Here are a couple of my favorite stories/memories:


Christopher started coming to my very first storytime session. He was pretty little and continued coming to my storytimes until he turned 18 months and graduated to the toddler storytimes. I was filling in for the toddler storytimes one day and his mom told me, "We were just talking about Miss Marcie on our way here. Christopher told me he thinks that Miss Marcie probably drives a motorcycle!" How cute is that!


One of my other favorites is Mikey. He was a little baby when he started coming to my storytimes and has since outgrown them too. But during one of our storytime sessions (he was probably just over a year old) he came walking into the library with his mom (by the way his mom and big brother Jon-Jon are great too!) and his mom says, "There's Miss Marcie - we've been talking about you all morning!" So I greet them, and Mikey comes walking around my desk saying "Marcie." Wow! This little guy was probably only saying a few words at that time and he loved coming to the library - singing songs and sharing stories - so much that Marcie was one of his first words!


It is so great to see the way parents start sharing books with their babies based on the modeling behaviors that they see in storytimes. Making books fun is so important!


Finally my favorite, favorite, favorite little storytime attendees have been my nieces. :) They are fantastic anyway, but I love sharing what I do with them!

I don't think that I could possibly be as happy at any other job right now in my life. I love good books, and I love sharing them with others. From babies to grandparents - it's definitely a perk of my job!

No comments: